Wednesday, April 13, 2016

We need a law about the bathroom?



This is a blog aimed at trying to understand what is going on.

Like you, I heard that North Carolina passed a piece of legislation that caused an uproar.  Bryan Adams and Bruce Springsteen are not going to play their concerts in these states because of the anti-LGBT legislation that was passed.  Apparently Republicans in this state rushed through legislation in an effort to deny transgendered people basic human rights.

Well, that sounds really bad.  I don't care whether you are Bruce or Caitlyn, you can't deny someone basic human rights.  I decided to get to the bottom of it - what on earth are these bigoted people doing?

And then I read the legislation.

Hmmm . . . so it is a law that says if you are a anatomically a guy you need to go to the men's room (or men's locker room - or wherever else people are in their birthday suit).

Wait.  Let me read that again . . .

Oh and it also included a provision that said local authorities can't overturn this law.

So I am stating it here - I don't understand.  What is the problem with this law?  Please help me see what I don't see.  Or perhaps there is a section I haven't read?  Please show me where I am being thick on this issue (and please be nice - meanies will be deleted).

I don't see what Sarah Preston, representing the ACLU in this case said, "Legislator have out of their way to stigmatize and marginalize transgender North Carolinians by pushing ugly and fundamentally untrue stereotypes that are based on fear and ignorance and not supported by the experiences of more than 200 cities with  these protections."

Fear?  Ignorance?
You mean, by saying you can't go to the girls room if you are a guy?

I mean, doesn't it make sense that girls go to the girls room and boys go to the boys room?  I realize that it would be uncomfortable for a person who looks like a woman to enter a men's room, but isn't that kind of what you sign up for when you decide to go the transgendered route?  

I know that sounds harsh - and by uncomfortable I don't mean abuse or hate.  It's just awkward to see someone who isn't your gender in the bathroom.  Without this kind of understanding, the awkwardness gets pushed on everyone else.

Look, someone is going to be uncomfortable with the arrangement.  Ladies will feel uncomfortable with transgendered men and men will feel uncomfortable with transgendered women.  For that matter transgendered men will feel uncomfortable in a men's room.

So - which arrangement causes the least amount of discomfort?

Well, women make up about half the population and men make up about the other half.

But our transgendered brothers and sisters make up under 1%.  

The math alone should steer us to common sense.  But it probably won't.  And that is the reason why Donald Trump is so popular.


No comments:

Post a Comment