Monday, September 14, 2015

How much longer?



This is a piece about human nature, not politics.  I am a firm believer that God has no use for politics.  He is sovereign – He makes pretty things out of our garbage no matter how bad we mess things up.

So this is about human nature – my human nature – about how I both love and hate that a guy has showed up in this political cycle and has just spoken his mind.  He has achieved a few firsts:

·      He doesn’t need a teleprompter. 
·      He speaks his mind (i.e.“we are led by very stupid people.”) 
·      And he doesn’t apologize.  Essentially he says, “get over it, I don’t have to agree with your views on tolerance or inclusivity or whatever other forms of political speak you want me to support.  This is my view and I am holding to it”

That is a breath of fresh air that a lot of people are really excited about.

However . . .

He also has a lot of dumb, sexist, sometimes racist and often times short-sighted things to say. 

And there are people who are trying to follow God the best they can who really like this guy.  But seriously – you can’t.  Well, I guess you can – I mean it is a free country – but you really can’t if you think through what your faith tells you about a wise leader . . .

A wise person . . .

1.     . . . holds their tongue.   When there are many words, sin is unavoidable,
But he who restrains his lips is wise. – (Prov 10:19)

This is so hard because I love that there is someone who says what they really feel rather than calculating the polling data and scripting something that appeals to the masses.  But the Bible is clear that people without restraint end up ruining the rest of us with their sin.  A true leader thinks a long time before they talk (if they talk at all).

2.     . . .  is humble.  Pride goes before destruction,
    and haughtiness before a fall. (Proverbs 16:18)

Yes, it is entertaining to see someone not care about the cultural rule-keepers.  But arrogance is not cute, it is immature.  The Bible says that a good leader is a servant.  Someone who endeavors to lead should consider himself the last to get attended to.  The “I look fabulous” gives them a chuckle, but we need leaders who operate out of concern for others outside the spotlight.


3.     . . . has a plan that includes seeking God.  In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight (Proverbs 3:6)

One of the key criticisms of our political candidates has been how they have no plans.  The loudest ones are the worst offenders (i.e. “in my administration there will be so much winning . . .”)  But we need people who run their plans through the creator and sustainer of the universe.  Acknowledging God is more than a touchdown prayer – acknowledging God means that we take time in the process of leadership to ask God’s help in leading. 

·      Please understand, I know too well that some of the worst leaders are Christians – I am not talking about someone who identifies as a Christ-follower.  I am talking about someone who actually practices it in their life and their leadership.

So I admit – it is human nature to muse at the person who is different – who ignores the rules and succeeds.  But I am done musing and I hope you are done too.





No comments:

Post a Comment