Friday, November 11, 2016

A Much Needed Dose of Good News . . .




I have good news.

I know, in a time like this - when there are so many headlines and social media entries that lament the end of the world.  Good news?  How can there be such a thing?

It's true.

And the truth is that you already know it - even if you don't think you do.  The truth is this: Your life is bigger than what happened last Tuesday.

Think about it . . . Eight years ago, someone ran for president about change.  When he was elected, half the country thought the world was over.  They seriously lost their mind.  I remember somber faces and grim pursed lips.  But guess what?  The world didn't end.  In fact, there were a bunch of things that turned out nicely.    

So now this new guy gets into office and guess what he is promising . . . you guessed it: Change.

So half the country has lost it's mind.  A couple thousand people in California want to secede from the union.  There is a petition going on to have the Electoral College vote contrary to what the people in their state voted.  Tears and mourning like the country has ended.  I know friends whose children were crying.  Weird.  

America, get a hold of yourself.

I remember when Bill Clinton became president in 1992.  You should have seen it, half the country thought that the world had ended.  Friends of mine were incredulous that I was like, "ahh, what can one guy really do to a country?"  They were convinced America was over.  On the other hand, there were people who were ecstatic.  I was in a Women's Studies class the day after Bill Clinton won the election and I remember the professor raving about all that he was going to do for women in America.  

Irony.

Hey the world didn't end - in fact some great things happened (which really had nothing to do with the person in the white house).  I found a special lady during Bill Clinton's term in the Oval Office.  She said, "yes" when I asked her to marry me and my life went in a very good direction since that day.  

And I didn't have the Democrats or the Republicans to thank for that.

The point is that you have a lot to be excited about in life that has nothing to do with some guy who is sitting in the Oval Office.  Really.  I'm not especially excited about the outcome of the election (my man didn't even win one state, for crying out loud), but I've turned my attention back to the stuff that matters.

Like my life.

And hey - good news - you have one too.  Clue: It's not found in all the social media raging or sound bytes that tell us that life as we know it is over.  It's not.  The script may have changed, but did you really think you were in control of events like last Tuesday?

Some guy won an election - its not your guy - so please pass the carrots and get on with your life.

It's easy.  Turn off the TV.  Put down the phone.  Talk to your family.  Sign up for a shift volunteering at your local shelter or boys/girls club.  Ask someone out on a date.  Pray with your neighbor that just got diagnosed with cancer.  Kiss your fiancee.  Have a bunch of friends over and watch a stupid movie and eat lots of ice cream.  That's called life - you have one - use it.  

The good news is that no one sitting in an office in DC has any power over your decision today to be excited about God's direction for your life.

Now go live it.

The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life. - John 10:10

No comments:

Post a Comment