Thursday, February 5, 2015

Second Chances . . .

Brian Williams didn't get the whole story right.  He was traveling in a group of helicopters and the one ahead of him took a hit by a Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG).  The way he told the story, however, was that his got hit and was forced to land.

So technically this is a lie.

I don't know why, but this seems like such a small thing.   I mean, yeah, he lied about it, but does it really mean that we are going to doubt everything that came out of his mouth for the last ten years?  Does the fact that one story he shared did not square completely with the truth make me shake my head the next time I see one of his newscasts?

"There's that liar . . . I bet he made up that whole thing about Osama Bin Laden . . ."

I wonder if we are going too far on this one by demanding his resignation.  He told a fish story.  It was rooted in some form of fact.  I am not sure I want him crucified over something this small.

But maybe it isn't small - maybe it is crucial that your integrity is spotless as a new reporter.  If we can't trust him with a little, we can't trust him with a lot.  I get that.  I just hope he is not one more casualty in the cycle of "build 'em up and tear 'em down."  

Unless this is a pattern that goes deeper, perhaps this is a great moment for a second chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment